Monday 13 February 2012

English Lecture: Victorian Currency

We've been studying Sherlock Holmes for the past couple of classes, which I absolutely love. We took a small break a couple of classes ago and our professor decided to teach us the Victorian England currency system so we could understand it when we came across it while reading.

So here it goes!
Basic unit = pound (£). A quid = bill £; sovereign = coin £
1 £ = 20 shillings (bob)
1 shilling = 12 pennies (pence; d)
     - 1£ = 240 pence
Sixpence (tanner) = 6 pence
Threepence = 3 pence
Groat = 4 pence
Guinea = 21 shillings (It's basically a pound with a tip built in)
Crown = 5 shillings (Quarter £)
Half Crown = 2 shillings & sixpence (8th of a £)
Double florin = 4 shillings
Florin = 2 shillings

Can I just say that I'm glad I don't live in the Victorian era, that is just confusing, haha. It's more sensible because a £ can be broken down smaller than the $. This system was in play until the 1950's when Britain got rid of some of their coins and introduced the decimal system. From then on the penny = 100th of a £, and p symbolizes a pence instead of d. The shilling finally disappeared in 1990's.

I do find it really fascinating! I hope I didn't make too many mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment